Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Great Hungarian Moments...Who says teacin doesn't pay well?

Wonderfull Village Conversations

Over the past few days I have encountered unique conversational moments. Back and settled I went to my "BIG" store, the Coop. I am anxious to start cooking some good meals after I had spent a week eating out during Budapest's orientation. I decide I want to make sausage and cheese stuffed chicken mmmmmm.
Having to ask for nearly everything at my store I approach the meat lady. The name makes her sound mean, but in fact a very lovely women who is always helpful. I order 1/2 kilo of chicken breast, a stick of paprika sausage, and 20 deka of swiss cheese. After doing this with success, which mind you for me is very rare, she comments on my nice Hungarian. She continues to tell me how the teacher before me had learned no Hungarain and knew nothing, and how happy she was that I decided to stay a second year. It was a real "feel good" moment.

Walking home from the post office, where I bought another phone card, which is used up already, I bumped into three gypsie brothers. I only caught two of their names Szilveszter and Gergő. We had wonderful conversation about computers, video games, and football (soccer). Szilveszter, who later I found out was in one of my new classes and prefers to be called Bruce Lee,(it just goes to show you that if you ask a child to write what they prefer to be called, they will... I was thinking more like Szilvi or Veszti but whatever it is his name now), tried extremely hard to incooperate English into our conversation. Soon their mother and three sisters happened upon us and joined the conversation which lasted 1/2 hour. Eventually the mom said it was time to go and let me on with my day, and off they went.

After a two hour football practice I bumped into one of my 4th year students, Roland. He is wild in class, but rather quiet outside of class which can probably be chalked up to nerves of conversing with a non Hungarian. He walked me home. While doing so he showed me his new, yellow bike and some cool tricks, the pop a wheely is still cool!! He showed me the beautiful moon which was full and orange, and explained the reason for the big smoke in the fields, and told me where he lived in relation to my flat. All of this was in broken English, but I was amazed that he could dig deep and explain things with his limited Enlish vocabulary. Being a teacher does have its perks...and we all know we are in it for the money!

No comments: